Tampa Bay Lightning vs Buffalo Sabres NHL Betting Preview
Other than the defending Stanley Cup champion, every team comes into the new season feeling as though they have something to prove. The Tampa Bay Lightning may feel that way more than most, as they were the team that ended up losing in the final last year. They will continue their 2015-16 campaign with a road trip to Buffalo to face the Sabres.
Tampa Bay Lightning vs Buffalo Sabres Game Info
Date/Time: Saturday, October 10th, 1:00 PM
Location: First Niagara Center, Buffalo, New York
TV: Fox Sports Sun
Odds: Lightning -200
Last season #TBLightning tallied at least a point in all 5 meetings with Buffalo and outscored Buffalo 16-3, outshooting the Sabres 169-95.
— Michelle Gingras (@michellegingras) October 10, 2015
There is no reason to believe that Tampa Bay cannot repeat the great year they had last season, but you get the sense that a lot is going to hinge on what happens with Steven Stamkos. GM Steve Yzerman would like to have the forward ink a new contract extension, but by all accounts, the two sides are pretty far apart on what they believe to be a fair number. If Stamkos comes out and lights things up this season, he is going to be looking for max money, which the Lightning may not be willing to offer.
These are all things to think about a little down the line, though, and all Tampa has to do at the moment is concern themselves with how they will play on the ice. They will start out at home against Philly, and then follow that up with a tricky little 3-game road trip that begins on Saturday in Buffalo.
By the time this game rolls around, we will have had our first regular season look at second overall pick Jack Eichel. The expectations for this kid are through the roof, with many seeing him as the foundation upon which the Sabres will build their future. Buffalo did a good job of bringing in some new guys to help take some of the pressure off the young man, but make no mistake, this is still a work in progress. It would be almost impossible for the Sabres not to be better than they were last season, but there are plenty of folks out there who expect them to take a pretty big step forward. A playoff spot may seem out of the question right now, but if they can still be playing meaningful games in February, the season would likely be considered a success.
Lightning vs Sabres Game Trends
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay’s last 5 games
- Tampa Bay is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay’s last 5 games on the road
- Tampa Bay is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Buffalo
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Tampa Bay’s last 12 games when playing Buffalo
- Tampa Bay is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Buffalo
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Tampa Bay’s last 15 games when playing on the road against Buffalo
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Tampa Bay’s last 6 games when playing on the road against Buffalo
- Buffalo is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games
- Buffalo is 4-18 SU in its last 22 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 6 games at home
- Buffalo is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games when playing Tampa Bay
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Buffalo’s last 12 games when playing Tampa Bay
- Buffalo is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Tampa Bay
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Buffalo’s last 15 games when playing at home against Tampa Bay
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Buffalo’s last 6 games when playing at home against Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay managed to take 4 of 5 from the Sabres last season, and have now beaten them in 4 straight games. They should be able to make it 5 in a row, and I think we’ll see a lot of goals in this one.