Panthers Visit Cowboys For Thanksgiving NFL Betting Feast
This game is truly an oddity from an oddsmaker’s point of view, as the 10-0 Carolina Panthers come into AT&T Stadium to take on the Dallas Cowboys this Thursday as -1 point favorite, with the Cowboys taking the underdog role in the NFL betting odds. The over-under total for this game is 47. While the Cowboys are just 3-7, they are 3-0 with Tony Romo at the helm. Their seven losses all have come with backup quarterbacks Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel running the offense. If you watched the Cowboys and Dolphins this week, you saw the difference that having their starting quarterback makes for Dallas.
Carolina Panthers vs Dallas Cowboys NFL Betting Preview
Game Odds: Panthers -1
Carolina has won the last five meetings between these two teams, though, with a 4-1 record against the spread in those games. So let’s consider why you should choose them to come out ahead in this game. Week in and week out, the Panthers keep rising to meet challenges. They have covered all of their last three games and six of their last seven. In addition to being 10-0 straight up, they are 8-2 against the spread. They scored a season high in points against Washington this past week in a massive 16-44 win over the Redskins. Carolina quarterback Cam Newton is on the short list of MVP candidates this year because of his significantly improved play; the five touchdowns he threw last week were just a tribute to the versatility of the offense. Even though the Panthers have been without the services of wideout Kelvin Benjamin all year, thanks to a torn ACL, the Panthers have continued to thrive.
So why on earth would the Cowboys be favorites in this one? Like I said earlier, there is a huge difference when this team has Tony Romo. The defense is more solid, because they don’t have to spend 35 or 40 minutes of the game on the field. The offense has more confidence because Romo spreads the ball around, letting players like Terence Williams contribute. This is why, even at 3-7, the Cowboys are division contenders since the team in first place (New York) is 5-5. However, every week is a must-win situation in Dallas. The Cowboys will be motivated and understand that a win here moves them just that much closer to the postseason.
Betting Odds Trends
- Carolina is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
- Carolina is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Carolina’s last 8 games
- Carolina is 6-0-1 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
- Carolina is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Carolina’s last 12 games on the road
- Carolina is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Dallas
- Carolina is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Dallas
- Carolina is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Dallas
- Dallas is 2-6 ATS in its last 8 games
- Dallas is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Dallas’s last 7 games
- Dallas is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- Dallas is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games at home
- Dallas is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Carolina
- Dallas is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Carolina
- Dallas is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Carolina
Even though the Panthers have played a terrific season so far, I see them faltering against this opponent. I see this game as a very close win for Dallas, along the lines of 20-18 or 24-21. If I had to choose a side on the over-under total, I would go with the “under” here, as both teams will likely be moving into trench war to keep the other at bay.