Vikings Take Slight Lead in NFL Spread for Game vs Packers
In what many fans have seen as a bizarre twist of events, the Minnesota Vikings have seized the NFC North lead from the Green Bay Packers, who started out 6-0 but are now 6-3, after two relatively understandable losses to Denver and Carolina – and an inexplicable home loss to Detroit, the first Lions victory at Lambeau Field since 1991. The Vikings are 7-2, with a game lead over the Packers, and they host Green Bay this week and look to expand that lead. The NFL spread on this game has the Vikings -1, marking the first time in 12 consecutive meetings that the Packers are not favored to beat the Vikings.
Location: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Game Odds: Minnesota Vikings -1
TV Broadcast: Fox
Radio Broadcast: Packers Radio Network
The trend in the NFL has been to move toward the zooming pass attack, but the Vikings are a true throwback, using smash-mouth football to earn each of their victories. The Vikings beat Oakland 30-14 last week, the Vikings are riding a wave of momentum into this NFC North matchup. They have the second-best scoring defense in the NFL, permitting 17.1 points per game. They lead the league in rushing, rolling up 147.2 yards on the ground each week. Adrian Peterson has 934 yards on the ground through nine games, 227 yards ahead of the next-best running back, Chris Johnson. Peterson galloped for 203 yards against Oakland last week.
But can the Vikings do what the Lions did and get the Green Bay monkey off their back? In their last 11 meetings, Minnesota is just 1-9-1 straight up and 4-7 against the spread. It’s true that the Packers only mustered 16 points in a home loss to Detroit last week, in a contest in which they were favored to win by 10 1/2 points. Aaron Rodgers has been struggling in ways that people have not seen in his career. Even so, the Packers are 4-1 straight up and against the spread in the last five November road games against the Vikings.
NFL Odds Trends
- Green Bay is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
- Green Bay is 18-6 SU in its last 24 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Green Bay’s last 6 games
- Green Bay is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 15 of Green Bay’s last 23 games on the road
- Green Bay is 9-1-1 SU in its last 11 games when playing Minnesota
- The total has gone OVER in 11 of Green Bay’s last 15 games when playing Minnesota
- Green Bay is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- Green Bay is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Green Bay’s last 8 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- Minnesota is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
- Minnesota is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Minnesota’s last 10 games
- Minnesota is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 games at home
- Minnesota is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Minnesota’s last 5 games at home
- Minnesota is 0-4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Green Bay
- The total has gone OVER in 11 of Minnesota’s last 15 games when playing Green Bay
- Minnesota is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing at home against Green Bay
- Minnesota is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Green Bay
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Minnesota’s last 8 games when playing at home against Green Bay
Game Prediction: This is a talented Packers team. However, I don’t know that this is the best game for them to escape their slump. The Vikings have a suffocating defense, and their offense simply drains the clock, making it a nightmare for the Packers. All signs point to a Vikings win. The total is at 45 points, and I could see this easily staying under as the Vikings grind out a solid win, but neither team scores a whole lot. I view this as a 20-10 game, or a 21-14 sort of game.