Chiefs vs Broncos Game Preview and NFL Betting Line
If you watched Week 9’s action, you know that the Denver Broncos are not a flawless team. Peyton Manning threw two more interceptions, and the Bronco defense was not its ironclad self, and the Indianapolis Colts took advantage of both. The Broncos return home this week to face the Kansas City Chiefs, who had a bye in Week 9 and had won two straight before the layoff. The Broncos have already beaten the Chiefs in Kansas City and look to complete the season sweep against their division rival. The Broncos are favored by 6.5 points and the over-under total is set at 42 points.
Chiefs vs Broncos Preview and NFL Betting Line
Game Odds: Broncos -4½
TV: CBS/NFL Network
— Kansas City Chiefs (@chiefs) November 13, 2015
In Week 8, the Chiefs routed a porous Detroit Lions defense, romping in London by a final score of 45-10. The Chiefs now look to get revenge for a bizarre loss early in the season, when the Broncos scored a late touchdown to tie the game at 24 and then scooped up a fumble and returned it for another touchdown, going on to win 31-24.
The Chiefs put up those big numbers against Detroit with quarterback Alex Smith at the helm. He threw went 18 for 26 for 145 yards and two touchdowns as the offense rolled up 340 total yards. Smith also ran for 78 yards and another score on five carries. The Chiefs won’t get that much production out of Smith every week, particularly on the ground, and especially against Denver’s defense. However, you can still expect Kansas City to mix their approach up with the passing game. That means that Travis Kelce and Jeremy Maclin will get more work this week than they did in London. When the Chiefs and Broncos met the first time, the players combined for eight catches and 115 yards.
Depending on the passing game gets even more important for the Chiefs who are without tailback Jamaal Charles, who ran for 125 yards and a score against the Broncos in the teams’ first meeting. Charcandrick West has filled in well for Charles, averaging 80 yards a game on the ground in his three tilts as the starter.
The Broncos are coming home after their first loss of the season. In their three home games this year, they are 3-0 straight up and 2-1 against the spread. However, their defense was surprisingly lax against the Colts. Denver is still #1 in scoring defense, permitting just 17.4 points per game, and #1 in total defense, allowing only 274.1 total yards per game. However, they still let Andrew Luck throw for 252 yards and a pair of scores without picking him off. The pass rush was off, as they only sacked Luck once. Linebacker Demarcus Ware is expected to miss this game because of a back injury. He leads the Broncos with 6.5 sacks, leaving Von Miller, Malik Johnson and Shaquil Barrett to fill the void.
Betting Odds Trends
- Kansas City is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games
- Kansas City is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games
- Kansas City is 1-6 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
- Kansas City is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- Kansas City is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Denver
- Kansas City is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games when playing Denver
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Kansas City’s last 10 games when playing Denver
- Kansas City is 2-12 SU in its last 14 games when playing on the road against Denver
- Denver is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games
- Denver is 11-1 SU in its last 12 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Denver’s last 6 games at home
- Denver is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Kansas City
- Denver is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Kansas City
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Denver’s last 10 games when playing Kansas City
- Denver is 12-2 SU in its last 14 games when playing at home against Kansas City
Betting Prediction: Look for the Broncos to get back on track at home and hand the Chiefs a loss that will cover the spread. Also look for the teams to go over, but not by a lot.